Friday, May 17, 2013

I love school... Where do I go from here?

School has been an amazing experience so far. I love the Evergreen State College. As I'm about to finish my junior year, it's time to really start thinking about grad schools.
I'm looking to get an MPH in epidemiology. I want to have an additional concentration on social causations of health outcomes and public policy implications -- things of this sort. I'd love to work in a state department of health or social services. Non-profit work, such as with Kaiser would be incredible as well.
Eventually, I'd like to pursue a PhD in epidemiology and teach at a collegiate level. I'd like an opportunity to lobby at some point too, assuming I'm not working for a public agency.

So where do I go from here? Here's my short list.

UW School of Public Health is highly rated. Check out their epidemiology dept here. This program is the closest to where I live. The next closest is Portland.

Drexel University in Philadelphia has a school of public health that is gaining traction on the ratings list. Their site is incredibly informative, and there are several programs that really interest me. There seems to be a major focus on policy and social health issues.

George Washington University in D.C. has some pretty intensive programs. Also, it's in D.C. Location is a major factor here, as so many powerful organizations are located or do so much work here at the federal seat of the country.

So that's what I'm looking at. I'd LOVE to hear from folks who have experience with any of these schools! Further suggestions are welcome too, of course.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment